Courtesy of the Internal Revenue Service, the IRS is reminding those who have registered, or are required to register, large trucks and buses that it’s time to file IRS Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return. The IRS strongly encourages using e-file and filing before the payment deadline of Aug. 31, 2022, for vehicles first used in July 2022.
The filing due date is independent of the date of the vehicle registration. Regardless of the date of the vehicle’s registration renewal, taxpayers must submit Form 2290 by the last day of the month following the month in which the taxpayer first used the vehicle on a public highway during the taxable period, regardless of the vehicle’s registration renewal date.
Vehicles that are operated on a public highway in July 2022 must file Form 2290 and pay the necessary taxes between July 1 and August 31.
What Required Information Do I Need?
- Vehicle Identification Number(s).
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) – EIN is not a Social Security number. It can take about four weeks to establish a new EIN.
- Taxable gross weight of each vehicle.
How Filing Options Do I Have?
- All Form 2290 filers are encouraged to e-file.
- E-filing is definitely required when reporting 25 or more vehicles on Form 2290.
- If truckers are filing by mail, ensure that the correct mailing address is used.
- Mail filers will receive their stamped Schedule 1 within 6 weeks after the IRS receives the form.
- Credit cards, debit cards, or digital wallets are all an option.
- E-filing makes paying with electronic funds withdrawal an easy part of the process.
- Mailed in check or money order payments using Form 2290-V, Payment Voucher, mailed to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 932500, Louisville, KY 40293-2500.
Resolve Your Tax Bills
If you’ve found yourself in a nasty mess with the IRS, take a deep breath. For taxpayers who may have difficulty paying off an excessive amount of tax debt, there’s a new and improved relief program that consolidates many major relief programs into a one-size-fits-all assistance program. Any issues regarding back taxes, unfiled years, or any other tax-related problems may be solved through one program; the IRS Fresh Start Program!
See If You Qualify For The Fresh Start Program Today!
Resolve your tax debt before the IRS surprises you with late fees and penalties!
- Answer a few questions
- Qualify and be presented with a resolution – click here
- Enroll in Fresh Start