Tax Relief Support Hotline

Filing The Final Tax Return For A Deceased Taxpayer

The final tax return for a deceased taxpayer is filed by their surviving spouse or legal representative. The surviving spouse or representative will indicate that the person has passed away on the final tax return. The IRS doesn’t need any other information about the death.

Understanding Final Tax Returns For Decedent

According to the IRS, you will need to file Form 56, Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship, to notify the agency of a fiduciary relationship. The fiduciary (executor, administrator, or guardian) acts as the personal representative of the deceased taxpayer.

According to the IRS, this final return is often prepared in a manner similar to how it was done when the decedent was living. Any income received during that filing year should be reported on Form 1040 together with any possible credits or deductions. According to IRS officials, the filer may be eligible for specific payment plans or installment agreements, just like with regular returns.

Who Should Sign The Tax Return?

The surviving spouse or representative should adhere to the software’s instructions for the proper signature and remark requirements when filing electronically. The term “dead,” the name of the deceased, and the date of death should be written across the top of paper returns.

Who should sign the return:

  • If it’s a joint return, the appointed representative, in this case, the surviving spouse must sign it.
  • If there isn’t an appointed representative, the surviving spouse filing a joint return should sign the return and write in the signature area labeled, filing as the surviving spouse.
  • If there’s no appointed representative and no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the deceased person’s property must file and sign the return as “personal representative.”

What Happens If A Deceased Person Owes Taxes?

If a deceased person owes taxes, any unpaid taxes must be paid in full. This includes both federal and state tax payments, as well as any prior tax years in which the deceased failed to file their taxes.

Claim Their Refund (If Applicable)

If a refund is due on the individual income tax return of the deceased, claim the refund by submitting Form 1310, Statement of a Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer.

Resolve Your Tax Bills

If you’ve found yourself in a nasty mess with the IRS, take a deep breath. For taxpayers who may have difficulty paying off an excessive amount of tax debt, there’s a new and improved relief program that consolidates many major relief programs into a one-size-fits-all assistance program. Any issues regarding back taxes, unfiled years, or any other tax-related problems may be solved through one program; the IRS Fresh Start Program!

See If You Qualify For The Fresh Start Program Today!

Resolve your tax debt before the IRS surprises you with late fees and penalties!

  1. Answer a few questions
  2. Qualify and be presented with a resolution – click here
  3. Enroll in Fresh Start

You can click here or call us at (800) 875-5509 to be connected with a verified partner of IRS Fresh Start Initiative

Share this post:

Related Posts
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore